Terms and Conditions
In these conditions, the term 'Advertiser' means the party placing the advertisement
or receiving the services and who hereby accepts liability for payment,
and the term 'Publisher' means Business and Technical Communications Ltd.
2. No condition or representation other than these and no amendment hereto shall have any effect unless expressly approved by the Publisher in writing.
3. For the purpose of these conditions the terms 'Advertisement' shall include loose or other inserts where appropriate, rental of database information, reprint of articles or such other products or services the Publishers may supply.
4. Orders for advertising shall bind the Publisher only upon written acceptance by the Publisher.
5. The Publisher reserves the right to refuse, amend, withdraw or otherwise deal with all advertisements submitted to it at its absolute discretion, and without explanation, and without liability whether in tort (including negligence) or in contract.
6. The Advertiser warrants (a) that its advertisements comply with the British Code of Advertising Practice and do not contravene any of the provisions of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968 or the Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations 1988. (b) that it is legally entitled to publish the information therein.
7. The Publisher shall not be liable for any loss or damage consequential to or otherwise occasioned by error, late publication or the failure of an advertisement to appear from any cause whatsoever.
8. The Advertiser shall indemnify the Publisher against any damage and/or loss and/or expense which the Publisher may incur as a direct or indirect consequence of the Advertiser's announcement.
9. Series discounts apply only to orders placed in advance and completed within one year of date of first insertion.
10. The placing of an order does not confer the right to renew on similar terms.
11. If the Advertiser cancels the balance of a contract, all unearned series discount will be surcharged. The Publisher reserves the right to surcharge in the event of insertions not being completed within the contractual period.
12. The Publisher cannot accept stop-orders, cancellations or transfers unless they are received not less than two weeks before the date of publication.
13. Where the Advertiser has undertaken to supply inserts which have been accepted and approved by the Publisher, the Publisher reserves the right to charge at the rate agreed if they fail to arrive at the agreed time and place for insertion.
14. The Publisher may, where necessary, stipulate special charges and conditions for split runs, regional inserts and other special requirements. Regional inserts are accepted on the understanding that there is no guarantee that the insert will not appear in copies outside the areas specified.
15. Where the Publisher provides a Reader Enquiry (More Info) Service, it shall not be contractually bound to pass such enquiries to the Advertiser or any other person.
16. Advertisements including those submitted by advertising agencies will be accepted by the Publisher on the basis that the Advertiser contracts as principal that any disclosed principal shall also be liable for payment.
17. The Publisher will grant a discount of 10 per cent of the gross rate to advertising agencies where it considers it appropriate to do so but in the event of late payment by any such agency such discount will be reduced: (a) to 7 per cent where the sum owing is paid within one month of the due date. (b) to 5 per cent thereafter.
18. Where such credit accounts have been agreed, such accounts shall be due and payable within 30 days of invoice date and are payable in full, subject only to the discounts stated above. The Publisher reserves the right to charge interest at 5 per cent per annum above the base rate from time to time of National Westminster Bank plc on all amounts outstanding at the due date until full payment is received. Value Added Tax where appropriate will be charged at the rate from time to time in force.
19. Copy must be supplied without application from the Publisher. In the event of copy instructions not being received by the copy deadline, the Publisher reserves the right to use any copy or artwork held by it for the Advertiser. Any extra costs incurred by the Publisher as a result of late copy will be payable by the Advertiser.
20. The Publisher cannot accept responsibility for changes in dates of insertion and copy unless these are confirmed in writing and are provided by the copy deadline. The Publisher reserves the right to charge for any additional expenses involved in such changes.
21. Copy and film material must conform to the Publisher's requirements and any additional work involved may be charged for. Thus the cost of making duplicate films, any necessary reprographic or origination work on material which is not supplied in strict accordance with copy and film requirements, as published in the rate card, shall be payable by the Advertiser.
22. One voucher copy will be sent to either the Advertiser or its client for each display advertisement published.
23. The Advertiser shall be responsible for the insurance of all films, artwork and other advertisement material delivered by it to the Publisher. The Publisher shall not be liable for loss or damage howsoever caused.
24. The Publisher shall be entitled to exercise a lien over all copy, artwork or other material in its possession until payment in full of all outstanding monies has been made.
25. The Publisher reserves the right to destroy all film artwork, and other materials which have been in its printers' custody for 6 months from the last date of use. This right can be exercised without giving further notice to the Advertiser.
26. Failure by the Publisher to publish the advertisements in the specified position shall not constitute a breach of the agreement.
27. The time or date of publication of advertising or the issue in which it is published shall not be of the essence of the contract.
28. Direct Mailings - prepayment is required for the postage on all direct mail. Additionally, prepayment is also required for the list rental for quantities up to 2,000 names.
29. Direct Mailings - a copy of all direct mail pieces must be received and agreed by the Publisher prior to fulfilment and mailing.
30. Inserts - before producing any type of insert, contact the Publisher's Production Department to confirm mechanical specifications and shipping details.
31. A dummy proof or sample copy of printed inserts must be submitted for the Publishers approval on or before the space booking deadline.
32. Inserts - the Publisher cannot be held responsible if a sample of insert is not submitted and approved prior to space booking deadline.
33. The placing of an order will be deemed to be an
acceptance of these conditions. All orders must be confirmed in writing
by the copy deadline. All orders will be acknowledged in writing by the
Publisher and will be accepted as the Advertisers official order unless
the Advertiser advises the Publisher to the contrary within 5 days of
the date on the order acknowledgement.